Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Lucienne Day

This past summer I had the opportunity to go to Washington DC with my beau. He was arriving by train late on our first day there, so while I had the city to myself I decided to go check out the "girly" things he wouldn't be interested in checking out. It turns out that the Textile Museum was a short walk from the hotel we were staying at so I wanted to go see it. I was grateful for the short walk because we had the brilliant idea of planning our trip in the middle of their heatwave, it was around 104 degrees outside! (We couldn't actually find a hotel at first, most of them were dealing with power and water issues, yikes!)

Anyways, at the time they had a large exhibition on Lucienne Day. Being very interested in abstraction and modern lines in art I fell completely in love with her work. I'm now pretty heavily interested in textile design and fabric as art itself. Many of her pieces read as fine art, you could easily frame out a yard of her fabric and put it on display. If you have the opportunity, please look her up and read about her life and work. She's a great source of inspiration!

Untitled (Bird Chair) -Lucienne Day

Above is one of my favorite pieces by her. It really captures her whimsical style and use of unusual shapes and colors. I would LOVE to have a vintage sofa made with this gorgeous fabric.

Taking inspiration from that piece, I made a cute set I'm calling Wire Bird. It reminds me of wire wrapped jewelry. I added hearts and a sentiment and simplified the designs quite a bit.

Download (.png only)

I have a couple of other ideas for Lucienne inspired sets, so if this one is useful to you please let me know. :)

I'm also hosting a desktop image I made with this set over on my DeviantArt.

Thank you to everyone for the kind words in my comments. I don't have time right now to respond but please know that I read every single one and I really appreciate everyone who enjoys my work!

9 comments:

  1. Thank you, I love these images. I have to say I love the whole appearance of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute, thank you so very much for sharing them with us. I really appreciate your kindness. Thank you bunches
    Hugs
    Cathy K

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a beautifully talented artist and I am just thrilled that you share your gift with others. Thank you soooo much for the beautiful diggies. The angel on your shoulder is smiling and so am I.
    Warm regards,
    Sharon
    sharring1477@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your images are beautiful. Thanks much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so very much for sharing your talent with us. The wire set is gorgeous. I can imagine the textile museum was a great inspirational source for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im a new follower and i would have to agree with

    fallonmjf6 said...

    Thank you, I love these images. I have to say I love the whole appearance of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, just to let you know - this fabric isn't Lucienne Day, it's by Marian Mahler ' Mint Bird Chair'
    lovely though - I have a piece of it.

    ReplyDelete